[geeks] Unusual Problem with KVM

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Fri Jan 11 20:18:18 CST 2008

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> To satisfy my own curiosity, where is that setting?  I see "Turn off
> monitor", but not "Sleep monitor".

Yeah, I'm not finding anything either, but my only windows PC is my
laptop, and it runs vista, so i can't find anything anyway.  Did a
little searching on google, and apparently, those options will change
depending on what power modes your display hardware will support.  Might
be a long shot, but do you have the appropriate driver for your monitor
installed on the windows machine?

I do distinctly remember having a monitor on a PC that could either be
in one sleep mode, where the screen was off, and the LED was solid
amber, or some other mode where it the screen would also be off, and the
LED would blink.  it took the monitor longer to come back from one state
than the other.

Here's an off-the-wall thought: (less literally than the keyboard and
softball on a string idea) How does the monitor handle modes that it
cannot display, might it be possible to have a screen saver that runs in
a funky video mode that causes the screen to turn off, but since it's
still getting signal allow you to switch to it?  More of a hack than a
fix, but maybe it could work for you...

    -Dan Sikorski