[geeks] Spyder 2 Express

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jan 11 15:11:22 CST 2008

I ordered a Spyder 2 Express monitor calibration tool for $50 the
other day.

The good points:

This is a *very* good unit.

It did a far better job than i did at color calibration.

The positives are pretty short, not because unit has few, but because
when something works exactly how it should, there isn't much to say.
Stuff that works is boring... :)

The unit is a little slower than some calibrators, taking as long as
10-15 minutes to do calibration, but still fast enough that doing
monthly calibration is no big deal.

I'm quite happy with the results and the unit works exactly how the
company claims.

I thought I came really close calibrating my monitor by hand, but I
was actually pretty far off.  The images now have a lot more pop, and
I can see details even in the Mac UI that I had not seen before.

I was complaining about the new Leopard shadows the other day, and it
turns out it was my faulty calibration.

The bad points:

The basic bad point is that the Express version of the software is
crippled too severely.  It is crippled to the point where even casual
users are affected, and I think the limits actually make the product
useless to a lot of common users.

I got around the problem because I know how to fool the software, but
for most users this would be a big turn-off.

Here they are:

You can only create a single profile, and you cannot name it
yourself.  The software also places it in a location hard to get so
you cannot easily rename it yourself, and I've not found any tools to
do that anyway.  For some maddening reason, Apple's ColorSync tool
doesn't let you edit a color profile.

Shame on Apple and Colorvision both.

You can only pick a single color temperature: 6500K.  This obviously
could be a problem for even basic users, since some people either
cannot use that setting, or their display can't or does it poorly.
6500K is common enough I can almost forgive them for this, but only
almost.  I think they should at least support selectable temperature.
Reserving RGB editing for the Pro version is fine, keeping people from
doing basic color temp is not.

You cannot calibrate more than one display, without using some tricks
to fool the software into looking at your other monitors.  Spyder 2
Express will only look at your primary display.

This is why they put in the limit of not letting you name your
profiles, since that would let you work around the single display limit.

The trick is to find and rename the profile, using a binary editor,
and then swap your monitors so the other ones you want to calibrate
are primary.  Ugly, but doable.

Really, what were they thinking?  Not being able to name a profile is
a serious problem, and multiple monitor use is increasing and common
even among very low end computer users.

It's asking a lot to have to pay double the price for the Pro version
to get base level features that are necessary for even basic users.

Several other reviewers noted the same problem and had the same
criticism, so I knew this when I bought it and decided the hardware
was worth it.  I may upgrade to the Pro version later.

Conclusion:

Despite the software limits, I'm pretty happy.  This unit does a very
good job of calibration, and you can routinely find the Express
version for $50, and then upgrade  your software to the Pro version.

I plan to write the company about the crippling of the Express
version, because it really does make the package almost useless, and
maybe they would be willing to at least put multiple display support
and/or ICC profile naming in the package.

I highly recommend the Spyder 2 hardware, and recommend the software
with the above caveats.