[geeks] Recommendations for a better broadband router

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Fri Jan 11 09:32:15 CST 2008

> We are looking for a broadband router that can be reset (reloaded,
> rebooted,
> etc.) once we are logged into the router.  (This will eliminate most
of
> our
> trips.)
>
> What are you recommendations?

If a Linux/PC based FW works and you would prefer a GUI front end (html
based), try smoothwall (the free version). I run it on an old 500mhz
celery-onion PC with a small disk and 128M of dram. It does all kinds of
things and hasn't given me or my Comcastic (barfing noises) connection
any trouble. Smoothwall has many more features than simple packet
filtering.

Dslreports.com type throughput tests show smoothwall can handle the 6Mbs
downlink, and concurrent large limewire transfers (***) show it too.

When I switched from a Cisco PIX 506E to a Linksys Vonage broadband
router my internet performance seemed a bit lame, but always measured
correctly by dslreports tests. Switching to smoothwall restored the
snappy feel I enjoyed with the PIX (the PIX died during a thunderstorm).

I know several knowledgeable hardcore geeks who run smoothwall and all
are very happy with it.

(***) Comcast rate-limits peer sharing protocols, so it can be tricky to
get 6Mbs download on limewire, but I've seen it.