[geeks] Unusual Problem with KVM

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 17:30:04 CST 2008

Hi.  I have a monitor (Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2040u) which has a
built-in USB KVM switch.  When one of the computers on the switch puts
it into power-save mode, and the other is still providing signal, its
normal behavior is to automatically switch to whichever computer is
still providing signal.

This is normally just fine, but it leads to a problem.  One of the boxes
I have connected to the switch has fallen asleep.  If I hit the
switch-upstream button on the front of the monitor, the monitor detects
that it isn't getting signal from the other input, and immediately
switches back to the machine I was just working on.  This means I can't
wake up the other machine.

I don't even think it gets to the point of reconnecting the USB devices
to the other upstream, so I don't believe that a USB doohickey that
would wake up a computer as soon as it is plugged in would work.  It
just wouldn't even have the chance.

Any ideas?  This seems really stupid.

Peace...  Sridhar