[geeks] FS: nVidia 7300GS, Athlon64 3200+

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jan 8 00:55:05 CST 2008

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:47:19PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:

> So, I'll end up with one 1103 and *two* E5s, along with the free FR200 that
> Universal Radio throws in when you buy an E5 from them.  With the stuff
> I've sold, that basically pays for the E5 I ordered.. so I end up with
> three nice radios for an out-of-pocket cost of $0.

That's a nice deal. The FR200 is a poor performer compared to the 1103
and the E5, but for general use it's fine. The crank is a bit of a
gimmic and the last time I used it during a power outage the NimH
batteries failed (again) which made it useless. So now I keep it with a
set of AA batteries nearby, and it performs nicely on AM and FM, and
good enough on SW for casual listening.

> I had a Yaesu FT-840 back in '02 or '03; I had to sell it in a money crunch
> to pay vet bills when someone poisoned my dog. 8-(  When I end up getting a
> "real" HF rig, it will probably be something that's all-transistors and
> all-digital tuning.

Ok, that's a matter of preference. I prefer a PTO (analog tuning)
but that's just my way of doing things.

I'm not thinking about buying anything soon, but the new Ten-Tec
Omni 7 looks very attractive. My second choice would a fully loaded
and checked out Drake TR-7a, but finding a good one would be very
difficult as I would have to have a U.S. ham buy it and check it
out.

Of course that's dreaming at this point, thinking about it is
a cheap luxury.

> I owned a Kenwood 520 for a while shortly after I had to sell the 840;
> great radio but at the time I didn't have room for it, so it had to go
> eventually.  Now, I've got my own "lab" room where I can put my radios, my
> gaming computer, and my electronics workbench.

That sounds great.

> I had a lot of fun building the Ten-Tec 1253 a couple of years ago:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/934417/

Looks pretty good, didn't you build an Apple 1 compatible too?

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838