[geeks] FS: nVidia 7300GS, Athlon64 3200+

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jan 7 23:20:39 CST 2008

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 04:40:49PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:25:15PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> > As a short wave receiver, 1kHz tuning steps and a 6kHz filter would be
> > fine. I'm guessing that's what it has. For ham use, IMHO you would be
> > much happier with a rig that tunes in 10Hz or 1Hz steps and has
> > a 2.4kHz bandwidth for ssb and a narrower one for cw (mine have 250 and
> > 300 Hz filters, but I have "bad ears").
>
> You're a lot pickier than I am; also, there's going to be a difference in
> quality between a $90 (1103) or $150 (E5) radio, and one aimed towards
> amateur radio operators (Icom 718, R-75, etc; $300+ used).

That's true, but since you already have an 1103, which is the same
radio with a lesser UI, then it does not make a lot of sense to
me to buy another one which will not do any better.

> These are just to get me *something* decent to listen to HF with; I'll
> get a nice Icom desktop set eventually.

You don't have to get an SWL radio, the 1103 is fairly good at that, if
you don't mind the UI, and IMHO you would be better off scrounging
around for an old HF rig. Even without the upgrade you can still legally
do 10m SSB and 40m/80m cw.

I don't know the U.S. market, but something like a Kenwood TS-520
(transistors except for the finals) or Ten-Tec 540 (all transistor)
both with analog tuning and great SSB audio should not sell for
much more than $200 for a "user" (beat up, but working 100%)
and IMHO do far more to encourage your ham hobby than a
portable like the E5.

You could also get one of the those "enhanced CB" rigs, either
a new one or a used Radio Shack HTX-100/101, which is 10m only.

I had a 101 and had a lot of fun with it. When I moved here I
gave it to a 12 year old novice.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838