[geeks] FS: nVidia 7300GS, Athlon64 3200+

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jan 7 15:25:15 CST 2008

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 02:22:34PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Eton E5 / Grundig G5:
> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0055.html
>
> I've already got a Kaito/Degen 1103, which is the same core radio but with
> different user controls and LCD.
>
> Getting back into SWLing, and I'm going to get off my rear and get my
> amateur General license upgrade.

That last part worries me. I looked at the Universal page, I looked at a
review of the radio which compares it to the 1103, and I looked at the
user's guide on Eton's web site, but I could not find two things which
would really matter for ham use:

1. Tuning steps
2. Bandwidth.

As a short wave receiver, 1kHz tuning steps and a 6kHz filter would be
fine. I'm guessing that's what it has. For ham use, IMHO you would be
much happier with a rig that tunes in 10Hz or 1Hz steps and has
a 2.4kHz bandwidth for ssb and a narrower one for cw (mine have 250 and
300 Hz filters, but I have "bad ears").

It does have a way of moving the tuning off of the set frequenies,
but I don't think it changes the display.

It also does not seem to have selectable sidebands so you can get
nearby signals mixed in with the one you want.

Obviously YMMV, but I would think that it would be too frustrating
to use on the ham bands except for casual listening.

In the real world it may not matter to you anyway, since you have
a radio that is basicly the same, does it?

Universal is a good dealer, and I like the FR200, although mine
sits around and needs to have the NimH batteries replaced every
6 months.

This is a good time to upgrade to general, the first sunspot has
been sighted.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838