[geeks] Need Advice

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Jan 4 17:24:27 CST 2008

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 02:02:58PM -0500, Ido Dubrawsky wrote:
>> Thanks for the help and I'd still like advice regarding whether I should
>> put in a Seasonic or a ThermalTake power supply.
>
> Avoid Thermaltake.  go for Seasonic or, even better, PC Power & Cooling
> (some of their models are rebadged Seasonics).
>
> I put PCP&C supplies in every machine I build, and have never been
> dissapointed.  They're more expensive, but worth it.

I've personally had good luck with Antec power supplies.

(Though occasionally I wish they were a bit more communicative.  I had
one that refused to power up a board because it detected a fault, but
didn't have any way to tell me of that fact.  So I assumed the power
supply was bad, swapped in a different - and less smart - power supply,
and the board burned up.  Literally; a thumbnail-sized area next to one
of the RAM slots smoked, then glowed orange-red, then caught fire, in
the time it took me to realize what was happening and yank the power cable.)

--
  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
  alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
          It's not the years, it's the mileage.