[geeks] VPN Help needed...

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 18:23:05 CST 2008

Well, as nice, and free, as the SSH solution might sound, and I
appreciate the suggestion and the support you guys have given me with
this, I just want to throw this into the melting pot:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800.html

It looks like exactly what I need and it's very much inside our price
range. Now i've never heard of Draytek, and they are a British company
by the looks (which if anything gives me extra confidence - the only
other British network hardware I've used was a Firebrick and they kick
ass, but they also cost about 600 GBP). Has anyone else heard of them?
All their routers get solid reviews, and I've seen accounts from
people who have also had very good experiences with the setting up and
connecting to the VPN part. Their VPN support seems pretty thorough,
and there is *no* client lock-in as it works just fine with Mac OS X
and Windows' built-in VPN clients (they guarantee this in words, on
the website).

It seems like just the ticket...

My biggest issue is I may need to extend the range of services I carry
over the VPN in future to include remote assistance for the server and
other non-web services. I've read up a lot on VPNs and now think I
understand how they work (basically they seem to turn your internet
link into a really long, secure length of wire that is plugged into
your work LAN, routing from your subnet to the works subnet on the
way). This is just what we need.

One other nice perk is it has an on-board DSL modem so I don't need a
separate one.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: