[geeks] VPN Help needed...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jan 3 13:35:12 CST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 02:23:28PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Yeah, I had that thought myself, but assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that
> there was some reason why this was not considered an acceptable solution.

I discarded it beacuse as far as I understood the original request, the
person who asked did not want to have these pages on a public http or
https server.

If he did, he could just use an HTTPS server with authentication and
have the user's  browser "remember" the username and password.

The VPN or SSH solution has the attraction of using key authentication
instead of password authentication, which does not require any user
entry and is much more secure, especialy if the passwords have to be
handed out to or picked by users.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838