[geeks] Java Workstation - Windows Trouble...

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 17:41:57 CST 2008

On 2 Jan 2008, at 15:21, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 07:59:56AM +0000, Mark wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    I recently got a Java Workstation 2100z (oddly with the second CPU
>> missing? Is it actually a 1100z?)
>
> Did you mean to post this twice?

Yeh, sorry, I posted it and it didn't come back to my GMail so i
posted it again. I posted something a few weeks back about the same
machine and never got an answer and thought that one hadn't got to the
list either.

> My boss scored a 2100z out of a "trash pile" at work; the only thing
> "wrong" with it was that it was missing the front plastics.  Doesn't
> affect
> functionality at all.

It's interesting how closely they resemble the U20 when you take that
big bow-fronted plastic bezel off the front :)

The case is very well designed with 5 notable exceptions:

The hard drive trays are very strange - because of the cables at the
back of the drive for SCSI and PATA drives (well, and SATA too in the
case of this machine - I broke a SATA cable trying to install the
drive in mine - another story) they are not Spuds, but some bizarre
tapered bays with sprung rails on that spread out at the tail end to
clip into the bays. This makes installing a drive with no special
rails a real pain. my SATA disk is held in with the rails I cut off a
spare Spud (sacrilege, yes, but needs must), but I had to wedge o
piece of cardboard in one side to stop it slopping about and
potentially falling down 2 slots while running (generally a *bad*
thing).

The plastic clips that hold the PCI/AGP cards in at the back suck. I
pushed a plug onto the DVI connector on the video card on mine and the
plastic clip shattered. It's held in with an industry standard thumb
screw now, at least they had the decency to thread the holes UNDER the
plastic clips :)

The rear exhaust fan is a monster, but it's also a model prone to
bearing failure. Sun JWs have had it, Apple PowerMac G4s have had it
and so have HP/Compaq workstations. I found a replacement made by a
company called 'Scythe' but it's yet to arrive, I am just having to
tolerate the weird droning noise the current one makes at low RPMs.

Why, if it's as good as a 'standard' ATX case, is it so deep? It
wouldn't be a problem so much if it was flat bottomed like the U20,
but the bezel at the front makes life darned awkward. It's too deep
for the front to sit securely on the curved front edge of my bench,
but on the same count there's no friction at the front if you hang the
front bezel over the edge of the bench. I have it stood on 2 rubber
Mac feet at the front for the moment. I need to glue them on though
really.

The cable routing off the drive bays is crappy. I keep having to
juggle it to get the side to fit right. unfortunately it was an
awkward time for Sun to release a low cost x86-64 workstation. SCSI
was waning in popularity and perennially expensive, so only available
as a 'high end' option. SARA was not ubiquitous enough or cheap enough
to use all-out at the time. PATA disks were a must to keep the low
cost machines low cost really, which stopped them using traditional
Sun backplane and spud setup, as I believe the U20, U24 and U40 x64
machines do now.

Most off-the-shelf PC cases I've used were much worse though. Hats off
to Sun, it's an easy and friendly case to work on for the most part.

Would you guys consider it blasphemy against it if I removed the AMD
motherboard and fitted a ASUS Core2 Duo one with PCI-e and DDR2? It'd
effectively become a U24 in an older box right?

That was a bit of a rat hole... I still haven't solved the Windows
problems with it sadly :(

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: