[geeks] 24 inch monitors

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jan 1 11:26:45 CST 2008

On Jan 1, 2008, at 2:08 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2007, at 10:45 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>

>> Neat, but I kinda like 24 inches.
>>
>> 30 inches is really the next step up if you want displays that end on
>> convenient byte
>> boundaries, and screen ratios.
>>
>> Between 24 and 30 what they do is just make the pixels bigger, and
>> personally I don't like it.
>>
>> Some people love it obviously.  I personally found them a little
>> ugly,
>> as I could see the "screen door" a lot more in them, I guess because
>> the pixels are physically larger.
>>
>> I think I'm mostly leaning toward the Dell or the NEC.
>
> Have you considered Eizo?  I haven't heard any complaints about their
> 24" LCD displays.

I would love to have one, but the price is far out of my reach.

$700 is already stretching my budget.

> Personally, I would love 2-3 Eizos along with a Cinetal, eCinema, or
> FrontNiche LCD.  Those last three brands are absolutely stunning in
> every way.  If only I could create business to justify the last ones.

Stop it, you are killing me.

> I know you don't want anything from them, but Samsung has a superb
> policy.

I know.

In fact, I could return my current monitor because it has a timing
problem that largely doesn't affect me.  They'll ship me a new one.

I have not totally dismissed a Samsung S-PVA display, but they do have
a couple of issues that worry me.

I always do this before buying something... :)

BTW: you guys should read about input lag with LCDs.  I knew that
sometimes large LCDs and LCD TVs bothered me when playing games, or
even video or photo editing, but I didn't know exactly why.

The short version: LCDs take each "frame" and have to process the
data, perhaps several times over, before displaying it on the screen.
Sometimes this processing overwhelms the CPU/DSP in the LCD and it can
get as many as 15 frames behind.

This is called "input lag", and it can range from not noticable, to
horribly annoying, depending on what you are doing.

Manufacturers don't like to talk about it, and do not publish this
specification because industry standards do not currently require them
to.

The worst lag occurs in LCD TVs during interlace and progressive scan
conversion.

A typical game on an LCD TV can be as much as 15 frames ahead of what
the TV is displaying.

For computer LCDs, it is usually 5 frames or less.

Here is something really interesting: if the visual input lags
slightly behind sound, it induces stress and anxiety in human test
subjects.

Next time you are watching a horror movie, or playing a spooky game,
you might want to deliberately create this effect for fun... :)

Conversely, when sound is lagging behind visual input, humans tend to
relax.

Off topic, but I thought that was interesting.

It would be interesting to see if/how often movie creators make use of
this.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com