[geeks] Via PC-1

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 29 16:43:46 CST 2008

>From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
>Date: 2008/02/29 Fri PM 12:27:22 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Via PC-1

<snip>

>If you need more than 2 drives, use port multipliers.
>
>Save the PCI for a smart GigE card.

Not really an option, as far as I can tell, only certain controllers support port multipliers[0], and I really doubt the controller in the chipset used on the D201GLY2 is so advanced (it's only "SATA I" (or 150 MB/Sec))...

>As for a case, I'd either give up on hotswap, or I'd look for a case
>with room for 2 5.25" full height drives, and use something like that
>addonics case you recently posted for $45.  Two of those cases.  Limits
>you to six drives, but I'd call that good enough.

I recently saw a 9 bay SCSI tower for about $50 (from memory, I'll see if I can find it again) - found it[1]...

Lionel

[0]" Port Multiplier does not work with SATA controller that has no PM support. Check with your system supplier to confirm the PM support on your existing SATA port. Port Multiplier may require a utility to configure the drives to be seen inside the operating system." from http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/ad5sapm-e.asp

[1] http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=ACC11190 - two port multipliers would fill this up nicely, but the problem would be the controller on the MB...