[geeks] Via PC-1

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Feb 29 09:20:59 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:06:14PM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> MicroCenter.com has a unit that plugs into the motherboard header as well as
> on the IDE cable, I just couldn't find the link. They have them in the
> store -  have you been to the store in St. Davids?

No I haven't. I didn't even know about it until just now.

> >I did not know about the current Circuit City sale.  I may have to
> >take advantage of that.
>
> I WAS WRONG - it is Staples that is having the sale:
>
> http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesCategoryDisplay?
> PID=683153&jspStoreDir=Staples&catalogId=10051&interceptedCatEntryId=212391&id
> entifier=BI49486&cm_mmc=CJ-_-affiliate-_-feed-_-listing&langId=-
> 1&cm_pla=683153&AID=10422268&cm_cat=664734&cm_ven=CJ&storeId=10001&ddkey=Stapl
> esProductDisplay
>
> The sale is through March 8th, and involves use of a coupon that *may* limit
> qty, not sure, didn't try it...

Thanks for the correction.  I will investivate further.

> >The LY2 supports 64bit mode?  I must have missed that.  That would
> >significantly change my opinion of it.
>
> The D201GLY2 board uses a more recent CPU core that supports x64 and has two
> included SATA ports (the previous version didn't support 64 bit execution or
> SATA). There is a second for of the board that has a fan on the CPU heatsink
> (D201GLY2A, IIRC). Not sure how tall they are for 1U applications, the
> original MB included a CPU heatsink that was too tall for 1U cases...

Some people at logicsupply.com say that the LY2 heatsink it still too
tall, but they list a replacement heatsink that fits.

> >I have nothing against the LY2, I just thought this looked cooler.
> >Plus you offered a used PC-1 up for sale, and you didn't offer a used
> >LY2 up for sale. ;)
>
> Yeah, well... I haven't actually put my D201GLY2 in a case yet and
> fire it up,  I will this weekend.

I don't know how much it matters for raw FC LUN target usage, but I
gather that 64bit is a really big deal for ZFS usage, making the LV2
potentially a much smarter choice for a Solaris NAS.

Call me silly, but I really want to stick with a Solaris NAS being SPARC
hardware.   I really hope that a 2xUS III machine can keep up with
gigabit.