[geeks] Dropout-correcting codes

Wed Feb 27 00:09:25 CST 2008

>> Can anyone point me at any theory for constructing codes to detect
>> and deal with dropouts when you *don't* know the dropouts'
>> locations?
> There is Reed-Solomon error correction, used on DVDs etc.

There is.  R-S codes work well on erasure channels, but that's not what
I'm dealing with here - I'm dealing with a channel where the number of
output symbols is less than the number of input symbols.  That is, some
symbols are deleted entirely, rather than being replaced with erroneous
data (which may be known to be erroneous or may not).

> follow the "see also" section, including this:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-density_parity-check_code

As far as I can see, LDPC codes are also designed for noisy but
synchronous channels, where data may be corrupted or erased, but not
deleted entirely.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca