[geeks] Heat sink on a P3

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Feb 26 13:11:54 CST 2008

The fan died on a P3 I use for serving music and other miscellenous
storage.

I bought a new fan/heatsink combo at a local computer shop.  The new
heatsink seems a little loose, meaning that I can slide it around a
small amount even though the clip is on it.  It does have silicone
thermal paste between the die and heatsink.

My question is should it conduct heat well enough even though it isn't
massively tight like other heatsink clips I've dealt with (like the one
I took off, or the ones on the P4s at work).