[geeks] UnPaypal?

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Feb 21 11:37:25 CST 2008

On Feb 20, 2008, at 10:41 , hike wrote:

> your friend has had one or more payments disputed.
> or, your friend has broken the rules by using a personal account to
> sell/buy/tansfer "too much"!
> (a one time, personal accounts were limited by a lifetime maximum $$
> value.
> upgrading is optional.)
> or, your friend has triggered a "bad-guy profile" for PayPal.
> (PayPal has
> announced that they have these "profiles".)

*OR*

Paypal screwed up, as they often do.

You don't know any of the above is true, and I've directly witnessed
the opposite.

I was able to bitch them into submission, but they did the same thing
to me and it was 100% their fault.

> it appears to me (from my experience, reading the rules, reading the
> gripe
> sites) that most PayPal "pain" is self-inflicted.

Most pain in all business systems is self-inflicted.

What matters is the situations which are not.  Paypal has a relatively
high number of those.

Some of it is precisely because they have a near monopoly together
with eBay, and they can get away with it.

It's kind of a catch-22... Paypal can get you screwed up, but they
have better service and features, and more secure transactions.

Other services like credit cards have less service/features and
horrible transaction security, but are more reliable as companies for
business users.

I guess it is a matter of "they all suck", and you just have to pick
the one that mostly works, and be prepared to fight them hard when
they fail.

The sad thing is that we have the technology to do secure money
transfer, even anonymously without big brother record keeping, and
reliable.

But, that kind of technology that "just works" isn't what the industry
wants because it takes power and money away from them.

> PS. one must understand the business and operating rules to deal
> effectively
> with PayPal.  one must also use "common sense" when dealing with
> PayPal.

s/PayPal/any business transaction