[geeks] UnPaypal?

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:37:55 CST 2008

On 20 Feb 2008, at 13:45, Mike Hebel wrote:

>> I'm in this camp; I've heard rumors of paypal being evil but they've
>> done OK by me. My dad even fell for a phishing scam and within 48
>> hours they rectified it and he had his $1100 back.
>
> Same here.

I've never had an issue with them either. I'm a stupidly low volume
user though. I'm lucky if I use them 10 times a *year*. They don't
seem to care though.

> I think the people that get in trouble are the ones that try to use
> PayPal
> as something other than what it is - a money transfer service.

I have to say 99% of the time it's just through traffic on my account.
I use PayPal when I can instead of a credit card as I, and my dad,
have had our credit card details stolen multiple times online, and in
all instances we paid for and received legitimate goods at the same
time. As much as we got the stolen money back it's a huge PITA. As
PayPal spend a lot of time pointing out, PayPal is way more secure
from that POV.

> It's not a bank and it never has been even if it incidentally acts
> like
> one.  For me as soon as money comes in it gets taken out or used for
> my
> next purchase.  My account balance is almost always zero as a
> result.  And
> frankly I like it that way.

Hear, hear.

As a side note, they do actually belong to Wells Fargo Bank, for all
the difference that makes...

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: