[geeks] UnPaypal?

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Feb 20 07:45:54 CST 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:46:51 -0500, Jonathan Katz <jon at jonworld.com> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> I too am curious - I've not had any problems with PayPal, but my
>> use has been pretty low volume (in my peak I did about 10 - 12
>> transactions a month,, now I average one or two a month). I've seen
>> other options out there, but they never had critical mass to get me
>> to switch. I think Western Union has/had such a service, they
>> called it an escrow service IIRC...
>
> I'm in this camp; I've heard rumors of paypal being evil but they've
> done OK by me. My dad even fell for a phishing scam and within 48
> hours they rectified it and he had his $1100 back.

Same here.

I think the people that get in trouble are the ones that try to use PayPal
as something other than what it is - a money transfer service.

It's not a bank and it never has been even if it incidentally acts like
one.  For me as soon as money comes in it gets taken out or used for my
next purchase.  My account balance is almost always zero as a result.  And
frankly I like it that way.

Mike Hebel
--
Help!  I'm trapped in a maze of evil spammers and bad IRC quotes!