[geeks] KVM recommendations wanted

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Feb 19 19:44:40 CST 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> IOGEAR GCS138KIT 8-Port KVM Switch w/cables Kit $215
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107420
>
> IO Gear is (AFAICT[0]) ATen, and I have heard nothing but good thngs
> about their equipment. I use their smaller KVMs (a two-port and a
> four-port KVM) and have no issues (but I don't stress them much -
> 1280x1024 resolution, PS/2 ports, both machines usually on.

Work uses the two-port IOGear devices almost universally.  Our
experience has been that they do not play nicely with Sun equipment
(despite directly advertising Sun support on the packaging.  The USB
ports on the KVMs like to burn out after a few months of heavy use.  We
replace about 20% of the devices that we buy within the first year, and
at least 30% in the first two years.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is no such thing as a short of reserves...
Elgin, TX         |  one bank can have a problem...the Fed can print