[geeks] FORSALE: 400GB Seagate SATA drive (update)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 14 09:50:04 CST 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at  9:11 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

<snip>

> Seagate Barracuda has always been more expensive than the WD drives.
>
> I have always found them to be higher quality myself, and get better
> performance out of them in most cases.

I just noticed the other day that the newer Seagate SATA drives have 32
Meg cache/buffer on the HD (7200.11 models, IIRC). That is a big buffer
for an HD, and probably worth a small premium by itself, but coupled
with the Seagate name makes their small premium worth while.

I used to jump on lower-priced HDs whenever I could (spare money and low
price drives trumped need several times in the last year), but I found
myself with a handful of 400 Gig SATA HDs (happen to be WD, never had a
problem with WD drives) in new retail packs from last summer when they
were about $85/each w/o rebate. I just built up an older server as a
local NAS unit using them, but when I found the reciept from last *year*
I decided I will only buy drives when I have a definite/immediate need.

I remember the delight at $5/megabyte HDs all those years ago (think of
it - a 20 Meg HD for my 386 machine for less than $100 - amazing!), and
I think it's hard for me to get past those memories...

Lionel