[geeks] hidden files and sftp

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 13:27:43 CST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 1:16 PM, der Mouse <mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca> wrote:
> > Unfortunately, this is an openssh based system, and unless I've
> > missed something it seems there is no option to control what someone
> > sees with sftp.
>
> Well, you've got the source; it can't be all that hard to drop in code
> just before going to the filesystem that checks for a dotfile and
> pretends the file doesn't exist if so.

Another tactic would be a restricted shell and putting the limited
users into directories with no dot files.  This was something we
looked at back at one of my $gov_agency jobs to give vendors the
ability to push files to our dev servers using a secure protocol as
ftp was a no-no.  We never implemented it, though.

I can't remember the name of the restricted shell off the top of my
head, though, and my notes aren't with me.  You should be able to
exercise google-fu to find it.

=Nadine=