[geeks] Intel D201GLY (mini-ITX) video success

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 8 12:20:42 CST 2008

Hello all,

You may remember I got this $60+ dollar INtel MB with Celeron CPU installed a while ago, but was frustrated with the inability to get graphics greater than 800x600 in Ubuntu. Well, I dug the machine out and tried a few things, and I have had success!

What is involved is running the "vesa" driver, not the auto-detected "sis" driver. Once I did that and restarted X11 (ctrl+alt+backspace) and was able to select 1280x1024 with no noise/artifacts on the display.

This makes me very happy - I was going to run Ubuntu Server on the board, but now I can run Desktop and have a nice, local desktop to work with...

Thought others here might be interested - I'm going to swap in the newer version of this MB[0] this weekend, and I suspect this same "trick" will work with that board as well (which would be great, as that board has 2x SATA II ports, making a more useful board IMHO).

Lionel

[0] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121326