[geeks] Recommendations for DC-DC power supplies

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Thu Feb 7 01:09:59 CST 2008

Having recently experienced an erratic electricity supply at home, I
am considering replacing the power supplies in some of my home
computers with DC-DC power supplies (instead of the usual AC-DC).

Does anyone have any recommendations in this regard, and any gotcha's
to watch out for?

An ebay search for instance yielded the following replacement ATX
supply that accepts 12V DC( 9V ~ 18V) in:
http://tinyurl.com/2zobqq

Of course, I've never heard of this brand before (Jasuny), and I doubt
it'll be a simple matter to replace the PSUs in some of my sun
machines (u60/u2).

Yes, I could buy a sufficiently expensive sine-wave inverter and keep
my existing power supplies, but DC-DC seems to be more efficient and
simple, unless there is something I am missing...

Many thanks,
Jonathan.