[geeks] Silicon Valley expense information

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Feb 6 09:57:00 CST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008, at 5:12 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> I'm writing a business plan and need to have an office in Silicon
> Valley.
>
> I don't need much, just a person to answer the phone, deal with
> mail and
> packages, etc. They will have a telephone, a computer a scanner and
> printer and a server running Asterisk, HylaFax, etc.

Ballpark estimates:

Phone line (landline) = $40 /month
Electricity = $75 /month
High speed internet = $40 /month (not the basic DSL but a better
package)
Office supplies (printer ink, tape, etc.) = $50/month

One-time expenses
Computer - $500
Server - $500
Scanner/printer - $150 (Canon all-in-one or similar)

Office space will be all over the place, but I think a minimum would
be $400 to $500 per month if you want to have a space that is
reasonably secure with a lockable door.

Full time employee - this will probably be a huge headache for you.
Easily $2000 per month once you figure in the various taxes you have
to pay, probably more.

You would do far better to find someone who would work out of their
home.

Are you sure you even need to be located in Silicon Valley?  Shipping
costs are not that much more in different parts of the country, etc.