[geeks] hidden files and sftp

Tue Feb 5 15:38:58 CST 2008

>>> Does anyone know of a way to give users sftp access to a server,
>>> but not let them see any hidden files?
>> Define "hidden".
> UNIX hidden files.
> dot files.

This is an issue to address in the configuration for the sftp server in
question.

If it doesn't have such a configuration option, your options are to
switch to one that does, to add it yourself, to try to contrive it some
other way (such as mounting a loopback filesystem that conceals them
and then point sftp at the mount point), or to give up on the idea as
stated and try to achieve the underlying end some other way (this is of
course applicable only if there is a distinct underlying goal that this
is just in aid of).

Or, of course, to give up on the idea entirely, which would be my own
preference - but I've never liked hiding dot files to begin with (one
of the first things I do on a new system is to set myself up with an ls
and shell that make that misfeature go away).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca