[geeks] I was wrong (big 2.5" PATA drives)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 4 14:13:12 CST 2008

>From: Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
>Date: 2008/02/04 Mon AM 10:12:38 CST
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] I was wrong (big 2.5" PATA drives)

>" From: Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za>
>"
>" On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 11:50:54PM -0500, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>" > []
>" >
>" > Most of the time I never see the money.
>" >
>" > []
>"
>" And then there's my personal favourite - we can't send you the rebate
>" because you live in somehwere other than mainland USA (but we're still
>" happy to ship to you)...
>
>which probably distills down to 'we -can- send you the rebate but
>we're -not-legally-required-to-, so we're gonna screw you since you
>can't come after us...'

Whoa, hold on - I think that is reasonable, since they are offers made through US resellers intended to reduce domestic inventory, but if they offer the same discount to customers in other countries they are (most likely) in breech of contract with their foreign reseller in the other country.

Meaning, sure, a rebate on say a hard drive in US that is sold into, say France, that undermines the French distributors ability to sell the product.

No rebates is best, but I can see the Mfg. side of this "debate"/issue...

Lionel