[geeks] Flicker users u in arms over MS acquisition...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 4 07:47:47 CST 2008

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2008/02/04 Mon AM 02:31:37 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Flicker users u in arms over MS acquisition...

<snip>

>More importantly than the demise of Yahoo, was the end of Netscape.
>I have seen many people commenting that it was their first web
>browser. I remember when they were a for profit company that
>started business by raiding the NCSA Mosaic team, take a free
>resource and making it cost money.

I always had a problem understanding how Netscape made real money with thier
product (I understand how they made money as a stock) - they had the most
convoluted marketing for the browser that I've ever seen. Now that I think it
through, I suppose they made real money by selling site licenses to large
organizations and OS vendors, as well as from their server software, but
taking something free and making money out of it is not unique (Apache,
Sendmail, etc.) but they were among the first...

Lionel