[geeks] script language advice

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Feb 2 16:28:45 CST 2008

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Rather inefficient.

Not horribly so, and it's easier to read and understand.

> It could be done in a single line without the temporary variable,

I have a very deep hatred for people who write Perl that way, a I always
seem to end up owning their crap and having to maintain it.  In this
particular problem, the script is going to spent the overwhelming
majority of its time waiting for the network filesystem to do its job.
A few extra explicit shifts for the sake of maintainability will
increase the CPU demands of the script by, what, maybe 1000 clocks per
iteration?

--
Jonathan Patschke
Elgin, TX