[geeks] Upper Memory Limit - Java

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Feb 1 22:05:35 CST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Francois Dion wrote:

> Fixed length is not best suited for multi level relational, such as
> configured orders (made to order) where on top of this the transmitted

Hmmm... how?

Your app is going to index that and won't care what format the file
is, and there are advantages to multiple files.

It might be better if you want to parse a single file, especially if
you want a lot of internal structure.  For example, configuration
files, documents, etc.

But for stuff that needs to scale, the overhead of multiple indexed
files quickly pays off, and it seems that's still what people use.

> fields are variable, or BOMs (bill of material), for example. Also,
> most companies still transact X12 edi, like 850, for example. And
> trust me, an XML configured order is an order of magnitude better than
> getting an order that was shoehorned in an 850.

Aren't you comparing a good XML implementation with a really bad fixed
field implementation?

We've been doing multi-level relational with fixed field and
extendable fixed field records for 40 years and it seems to work
pretty well, and is still the basis of most database file formats.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com