[geeks] EDI, COBOL and fixed fields...

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Fri Feb 1 22:02:16 CST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 10:48 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> You may be right.
>
> Think of the difference between reading an XML record and reading a
> traditional fixed-field EDI file.

Wow...

At my last real job we had a project migrating data from mainframes
to an Oracle database.

We were trying to figure out how to get these VSAM files imported the
right way. One of the great things is that these VSAM files had fixed
length fields BUT the quantity of those fields would vary by record.
Each record was on its own line. One of the fields towards the
beginning of the line would give the quantity that the other fields
would repeat by. COBOL had a hook for this with some REPEATS
directive, but trying to figure it out elsewise was breaking our
brains. Oracle couldn't handle it on its own, of course, I was
dinking with a perl script, and someone else eventually set up their
own java app for wrangling the files into a format that Oracle would
be happy with.

-Jon