[geeks] Ya-HoooooO!

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 10:25:18 CST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 11:12 AM, Doug McLaren <dougmc at frenzied.us> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 09:00:33AM -0500, hike wrote:
>
> | everything M$ touches ends up sucking
>
> I realize that it's popular to say this, perhaps especially here, but
> you do have to be aware that it's not really true, right?
>
> The vast majority of Microsoft's suckage comes from a few specific
> products, mostly Windows and Office.
>
> As for a few Microsoft non-suckages --
>
> -- I was very happy with my Microsoft Z-80 card.  It let me use Turbo
>   Pascal on my Apple ][+!
>
> -- Their computer mice are generally high quality and inexpensive.
>
> -- Their computer gaming hardware (joysticks, joypads, etc.) is
>   generally good to high quality as well.
>
> -- I never cared for their keyboards, but others love them.
>
> -- People like to bash the Xbox and Xbox 360, but in general I'd say
>   the Xbox 360 (and related things like Xbox Live) seems to be doing
>   well.  Not perfectly, but well.
>
> -- Many of the games, both computer and console, that have come out of
>   Microsoft (or companies they have acquired) have been very good.
>
> -- I've found msnbc.com to be less heinous than most other similar
>   news sites.  (I know, high praise!)
>
> -- The Zune doesn't suck.  It's just mediocre compared to it's
>   competition.
>
> I guess as long as you avoid Microsoft Windows/Vista, you're good!
> (and without Windows, you can't run Office, the source of most of the
> rest of Microsoft's suckage.)
>
> As for Yahoo, meh.  I never cared about Yahoo.  I guess a lot of my
> friends and familiy use Yahoo Chat, and so I do too, but I don't see
> how Microsoft could really ruin that.  It's not like I use their
> client anyways ...
>
> I guess I might care if they ruined all the mailing lists that ended
> up at groups.yahoo.com though.
>
> Should be interesting.
>
> --
> Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
> The earth is like a tiny grain of sand, only much, much heavier.

-- I was very happy with my Microsoft Z-80 card.  It let me use Turbo
  Pascal on my Apple ][+!

gee, an old microsoftie!

i like msword 1.04 for the Mac (and other updates).  excel sucked: data
corruption problems in the Mac versions, etc.  Quattro was easier to use and
quicker (consumed less resources on the Mac).

yahoo works well for me--it has its problems but hotmail is unusable for
me.  i used rocketmail before yahoo purchase them.  the transition was more
than "good enough".  yahoo has continually upgraded features; many that i
use regularly: increase storage, filters, web-interface, temporary email
addresses, etc.?

you forgot to add what a great job they do with hotmail!

you forgot the wonderfulness of $9.95 msn service that is made of mostly
live components!

you forgot "bob"!

you forgot the flying chairs!

you forgot the M$ patented exercise program: hopping up and down like a
monkey"

you forgot the stacklessness of Windows 3.x!