[geeks] Weird MacOS issue

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Thu Dec 25 00:57:30 CST 2008

On 25/12/2008, at 07:10, der Mouse wrote:

> There is no clash, unless you think of lowercase and uppercase as "the
> same" in some relevant sense.

Well, I don't think of lowercase and uppercase as the same, but that's
because of my working with case-sensitive filesystems, not because of
the nature of language.  Non-users of case-sensitive filesystems,
including the shrinking population of non-computer users, do not
intuitively think of upper and lower case forms of the same letter as
inherently different.

In all languages that I know of that have case, upper case is a
different form of the same letter, to be used in special
circumstances.  Hence the term "case".

> It's a matter of what you're doing with it.

Well, in my case, the problem was iTunes.  It's not an unsolvable
problem.  On the contrary, once I took the time to fix it, I now have
a meticulously tagged music collection!

--sambo