[geeks] Weird MacOS issue

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Dec 24 03:02:32 CST 2008

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 21:52:34 -0500, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > HFS+ for right now. Although can select ffs/ufs at install time.
>
> I've never been given that option at install time.
>
> Are you sure?

Hmm ... not sure it's a recent option but I did once try installing OSX
on ufs, so it did exist once. Big mistake though; a number of
applications really don't like case-sensitive filesystems.

> > Rumor is that 10.6 aka snow leopard will be ZFS.
>
> That would be interesting.
>
> I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to use it until others had bled on
> it first.

Not for anything important at least. Mind you it's stable enough in the
Solaris world. Course it'll be a few years yet before Oracle DBAs don't
object ... there's still a few who insist you can't use RAID5 for
databases.