[geeks] Weird MacOS issue

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 14:41:32 CST 2008

On 23 Dec 2008, at 16:30, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> This is not a big deal on OS X 10.5

I'm so glad you have such boundless appreciation and trust for Apple
products, but I don't. OS X has broken on all 3 machines I've run it
on at least once, and never through any fault of my own (and yes, at
least one was due to an update). Moreover OS X 10.5.x has been a whole
wold of pain with bugs and glitches that I never had on previous
versions. I'm losing faith in them very fast here. I still love OS X
but I've been very badly hurt by NVIDIA drivers that still crash
occasionally, a colour profile manager that seems to be permanently
screwed and a Mail.app that just hates me a lot of the time.

I treat it with kid gloves so it has as little excuse to go wrong as
possible. Call me a paranoid Windows user but frankly I know computers
better than to give them an excuse to screw up. They usually take it
and run, even on a Mac.

> FAT corruption will not affect OS X's root filesystem (as was the
> original
> complaint), as OS X's root filesystem cannot be a FAT filesystem.
> OS X is perfectly capable of laying down and obliterating both FATs
> and MBRs from
> Disk Utility; there's no need to get Windows involved if you really
> want
> to do that.

So when Rick refers to the File Allocation Table as a FAT he gets away
with it, and when I do it you assume I'm referring to FATx filesystems
used in Windows.

What I meant was I would go along with the suggestion file table/tree/
hierarchy (whatever it's referred to as in HFS+) being damaged. I was
only suggesting an alternative (and frankly nigh-on-bullet-proof) way
of addressing it.

Next time I'll save my 2 cents for the gas meter ;)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>