[geeks] Changing Windows Language

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 20:31:41 CST 2008

Jonathan Katz wrote:
> Hey everyone...
>
> I have a Windows 2003 server installed as a VM on my laptop. I'm trying to
> replicate a bug and need the OS to run en frangais. I've tried editing the
> registry with instructions found here
> http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-401966.html
> and changed each instance of LangID from 0409 (US English) to 0c0c (code for
> Canadian French.) I have gone through the control panel and added support
> for the appropriate locale. Even after multiple reboots the OS is still
> running in English. Any ideas?

Yeah, don't use Windows Mobile instructions on Windows 2003. :P Pretty
much everything on xda-developers.com is Windows Mobile related.  (As an
aside, if you've got a Windows Mobile smartphone/PDA xda-developers is a
great site. There's tons of people there who build custom ROMs for
various devices to remove the crap carriers preload/update
components/free up RAM for applications/etc.)

  Some quick googling shows that what you want is the MUI (Multilingual
User Interface)[0]. Unfortunately, the MUI is only available through
Microsoft's volume licensing programs or a TechNet subscription.  From
what I've seeing, the only other option would be getting the Canadian
French localized media and doing a clean install in a new VM, and I'm
guessing that's probably not something you want to do.

[0]: http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/MUIFaq.mspx