[geeks] New Intel Atom-based barebones system

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Aug 16 12:51:58 CDT 2008

On Aug 16, 2008, at 02:42 , Jonathan Groll wrote:

> It would be most interesting to know if these power consumption
> figures tally up with those reported by an ammeter or kill-a-watt at
> the wall. Do they?

Well, if you look at published figures for the Xeon CPUs, it seems to
match that very well.

Also, a couple of reviews of the Mac Pro 2.66 quad core unit showed
power usage when working around 220 watts, so I believe these figures
are accurate.

The reason my machine shows more power usage is because I have an 8800
graphics card, and 8GB of RAM, so my power usage is higher.

The main drawback of the Mac Pro is idle power usage.

The newer Xeon CPUs use a lot less power than the older ones, but it
appears that they cannot slow down their clock like other Intel CPUs.

Either that, or Apple just didn't include support for that.

Of course, the Mac Pro sleeps almost instantly, and uses 7W then.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com