[geeks] Seems like low-cost Cisco 10/100 switches are available

Alois Hammer aloishammer at casearmour.net
Tue Apr 29 19:29:29 CDT 2008

Sadly, it's been a while since I got my hands on an IOS or CatOS device
(Intel Express 510T and 520T switches at home).  I think the answer is:
probably, for some hardware, and some f/w revisions.  I know I can do it
with most Intel NICs from 8255x and up, all nForce ifaces, and some
other NICs.  However, I've never done it or been able to do it in
practice, and "autonegotiate to X setting" has produced iffy results for
me on the NIC end.  Actually, in the case of nForce ifaces, I've never
gotten anything to work, other than "auto."