[geeks] Photo "sharing" site recemondations please.

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 14:05:42 CDT 2008

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 07:53:07AM -0700, Nadine Miller wrote:
>
>> If you're a geek, and it costs alot (like SmugMug, though I love
>> Baldy--he also runs advrider.com), why not just buy a domain and a
>> hosting account and toss on gallery2?  It's quite easy to set up, even
>> without shell access.
>>
>> The company I host with is having a sale at the moment <$5/mo with 2yr
>> sign-up.  I've had zero problems with them, drop me a note if you want
>> the link.
>>
>> There's plenty of others that go for <$10 a month, too.  If you're not
>> wanting 5 9's uptime, any of them will likely do.
>
> I asked the original question. It is for my wife who is a book nerd
> (librarian), not a computer nerd.
>
> I do all of her sysadmin work, and I wanted something she could do without
> my intervention. :-)

I know what you mean, Geoff, since I am my hubby's sysadmin as well. But
b/w buying a domain (free with many hosting accounts) and installing
Gallery2, you're talking maybe an hour or so.  After that, it's as easy
to use as any of the other services, IMO.

I've used Photobucket and Fotki, and read a lot about Flickr and
SmugMug, as I was thinking about using them.  I just don't see the point
of paying for something under some big corporation's control when
there's a very small amount of front-end work necessary to do it
yourself and to get something more flexible and more useful, since you
can put a ton of other stuff on a low-cost hosting account (blog, full
blown website, cms, hosting "abandon-ware" ;-), etc.).

Just my $.02

=Nadine=