[geeks] Seems like low-cost Cisco 10/100 switches are available

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Apr 28 09:32:55 CDT 2008

Joshua Boyd wrote:

> I don't think  a commodity gige switch is going to offer things like
> vlans or port mirroring, and I could see more advanced home users
> wanting both.  And I know I've heard people say they need the ability
> to turn off auto-negotiate and just set the port settings to the
> correct values to make things work with various fun equipment.

The biggest deal to me is that i do not tolerate the crap that the
cheapo soho switches give me.  With netgear and the like, i've had to
reset (power cycle) a switch because it stopped working completely, or
the switch between the 10 and 100mbit segments stopped working, allowing
each to operate seperately.  No thank you, i'll deal with some extra
noise instead of dealing with that kind of crap.  This is the same
reason why we buy procurve and cisco networking hardware for small
offices.  We don't need any of the management features, we just want
stuff that works.  I find that most home users don't care if they have
to power cycle their networking equipment regularly.  I do.

    -Dan Sikorski