[geeks] Seems like low-cost Cisco 10/100 switches are available

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Apr 28 07:57:40 CDT 2008

On Apr 28, 2008, at 8:25 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I think I'm the only geek on the planet who's never had
>> an Ethernet auto-negotiation failure.
>
> Linksys switch / router + Ultra 5 or earlier SPARC system onboard NIC.

I did run a Linksys router with built in Switch with a SS20 and a U1
for awhile with no trouble.  It was a router from before they started
making linux based products.  I think the U1 may have been connected
via a HME card instead of the onboard though.  I can't remember.

OTOH, the Linksys would lock up under extended periods of high load.
It was not a nice device.