[geeks] Seems like low-cost Cisco 10/100 switches are available

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Mon Apr 28 05:26:54 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:31:59AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I'm not too tuned into the used equipment market, but I just noticed that surpluscomputers.com has 24 port refurbished Cisco switches (2924XL) for $65/each. That seems to be a good deal for someone looking to upgrade their home infrastructure from commodity hardware to enterprise hardware.

This is something I'm trying to understand - in the home environment
surely there would be greater benefit from buying a gigabit commodity
switch rather than a 'good' 100M managed switched, especially if your
home LAN is of a simple structure with just a single good-enough
switch. Since I've never owned enterprise-grade switches, please feel
free to educate ;-)

Cheers,
Jonathan