[geeks] What is going on with the open source community ...the stupid bastards are clueless

Michael C. Vergallen mvergall at telenet.be
Sun Apr 27 02:06:12 CDT 2008

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
| On Apr 27, 2008, at 00:37 , Michael C. Vergallen wrote:
|
| I like to call it "open sores" sometimes.
|
| Lot's of good software of course, but most of it is crap.
The worst is that some people decided to standardize the whole NetBSD
pkgsrc tree and ofcourse  they had to force the use of libtool on
packages that where not designed to handle it as well.

| Unfinished, poorly designed, massively redundant with other projects, or
| politically crippled.
|
| The whole GNU build toolset is really bad.
|
| I've never ceased to be totally confused by autoconf/configure/blah
| whatever you call it, and I have books on it and have used it for years.
The worse thing is they overly complicated the whole thing...by
splitting packages in smaller parts then what is really needed. Ever
tried to build the new modular X11. Instead of improving the code they
just made it worse to build.I remember when you had 3 or 4 files you had
to download and install them under a tree edit a Makefile & off you went
. Now building X11 makes me shudder.

| One reason it came about is because of the massive steaming mound of
| crap that so much software depends on these days.  I think a lot of the
| reason for the GNU auto tools is to try and tame that beast.

Yes but some of the crap is not really required or is allreaddy present
~ on the system if you use Solaris you only have to install a few things
extra but because they have overly complicated the whole thing by using
automake & friends you do not have the ability anymore to simply give
the right options to use it is being decided by a piece of software that
in most cases is wrong with its assumptions ....

|> Also when you tell them they don4t use pointers in the right way...they
|> imsult you like you are a stupid bastard. They jsut write their code in
|> a bad way and because it works for them with gcc they think it works on
|> every system.
|
| You mean, gasp and shudder, GNU C isn't always perfect?  :)
No I mean try and build gnome on a AMD64 with qa turned on on a gentoo
system and you will see how the so called programmers use pointers... it
is amaazing the systems actually is still in working order...they cast
pointers at random it seems. and they don4t even  use strict aliasing
anymore that is to complicated for them.

| Unfortunately, it is the only game in town that runs almost everywhere
| and is reasonably good.
Yes but the poeple who write code for it should at least follow the
coding rules.

| It's too bad we can't have another set of tools and compilers,
| maintained a little better, and without the political strings attached.

The compiler it self works 99 % of the time but the code poeple write
for it is mosty the problem when you try to use an other compiler the
code breaks or starts the sputter & dies.