[geeks] Dell T105 drive bay fan

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Fri Apr 25 10:11:05 CDT 2008

> I've been installing hard drives, thousands of them, for over 20 years
> now.
>
> The hot ones, the ones that vibrate a lot, and the cheap ones die.

Yes, that's generally true.  And I think there's rarely such a thing as
too much cooling (maybe if you overdo it on the liquid nitrogen...)

A few years ago I bought one of the first 500GB PATA drives, and installed
it in an external aluminum case that only has passive cooling (no active
fan, external power supply).  It gets a little warm to the touch, but
never hot, and that's quite a few platters in there spinning at 7200rpm.
Not too many modern SATA drives get very hot (the WD Raptors at 10k RPM do
heat up a good bit and I'd say it's a good idea to directly cool them).
10k and 15k RPM SAS drives get pretty toasty, of course.  But I'm not sure
most 7200rpm SATA drives need a lot of cooling was my only point.  Won't
hurt though.

- Nate