[geeks] Dell T105 drive bay fan

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 24 10:34:24 CDT 2008

Dell is finally selling the drive bay fans for the T105 server.

They are dirt cheap too, at only $38 each... :)

I think I need to get into the spare parts business.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered because this is a machine I use for
home and business, and I currently don't have time to build a fan and
shroud.

If you add up the craft parts and my time, it would cost me 3 times as
much to make it myself.

But wow... that's an expensive fan.

I had to step back and look at my Dell and make sure it had not become
an Apple... :)

Having said that:

I did also buy a PWM fan from Arctic Cooling.  Nice unit, but didn't
come with a 5-pin plug like the Dell wants.  It's destined for another
machine I have here, but I thought I'd let people know you can get
them.  It's a fluid bearing fan and was only $10.

Smooth as glass and lot's of air with decent speed control.  It's
guaranteed for 5 years and 400K hours.

I think with a little work, it could be made to cool the Dell T105.

However, when I priced a five pin cable it was $10 probably because
they are more rare, so that brought the total to half the cost of the
real Dell part.

Still, it has the ability to work with the Dell, and maybe some here
can find cheaper fan cables than I did, or have the parts to make one.