[geeks] industrial USB flash drives, and other solid state Solaris storage

Sun Apr 20 08:34:35 CDT 2008

> Seagate CF hard drives: the sheer novelty of a quarter-sized hard
> drive to boot from is almost overwhelmingly tempting.  I couldn't
> find any real data on how reliable they were.  Neat though.

I have one of those in my WorkPad z50.  Marked as 8G, actually about
7.5G (the manufacturer markings overstate the capacity, as usual - see
xkcd #394).

Reliability has been mostly OK.  Every once in a while, it will flake
out and start throwing hard errors.  So far, a cold reboot has always
cured it.  It's not clear when this happens; I suspect it of being some
kind of high-load failure - perhaps thermal, perhaps firmware getting
confused, perhaps something else....

Mine was marketed, and presumably designed, as storage for digital
cameras.  Under moderate-to-high duty cycle, it runs rather hot, which
is one reason I suspect something thermal of causing the failures.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca