[geeks] Some VMWare tech support...

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Sat Apr 19 21:19:00 CDT 2008

Hey gang, I'm really confused. My google-fu is coming up short.

I have a Windows XP laptop running VMWare Server. I have two VMs that
I've put on their own network ( vmnet2 )

One machine (guest) is 172.17.69.100. (OS X)

One machine (guest) is 172.17.69.200. (RHEL 4)

I can ftp and ssh back and forth between the guests (machines) all day.

I have a client app running on .100 connecting to port 8443 on .200.
When I go to connect I get connection refused. netstat on .200 shows
*:8443 and listens when I do a "telnet IP 8443" and "telnet localhost
8443" on the local system.

I'm thinking vmware has some kind of firewall in place. I can't find
how to disable it or where it is controlled. I saw some posts that
reference a server.xml for a firewall that comes with vmware, but
that's on Linux host systems.

Can anyone throw me a bone here?

Thanks for the assists...

-Jon