[geeks] Running a computer from a USB flash drive

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 18 15:28:07 CDT 2008

On Apr 18, 2008, at 08:47 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I don't think the electronics has much variance, aside from speed, I
> think the real "indusrtial" or "serious use" term might apply to the
> housing/case the drive comes with

No, "industrial" means the leveling algorithms, error correction, and
quality of the flash RAM itself is higher and designed to handle more
writes and fail more gracefully.

Usually, industrial flash is slower than consumer flash, unless you
have a lot of money to spend.

So far I have not found any "industrial" USB flash units.

In fact, almost everything rated for industrial use is CF media.

That's the single most common format for this sort of application.

I am using some 8GB Sandisk Extreme 4 stuff for work, but I have no
real idea how reliable it is long-term.  Even that stuff, designed
mainly for high end cameras, is quite expensive.