[geeks] Dell T105 drive bay fan

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 18 15:24:36 CDT 2008

On Apr 18, 2008, at 02:42 , Michael C. Vergallen wrote:

> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> | FYI:
> |
> | I have figured out I can get a 60mm PWM fan that will work in the
> Dell
> | T105 thanks to a hint from Nate.  I hadn't even thought about that
> kind
> | of fan being what I need.
> |
> | However, I would be missing the shroud that attaches it to the
> drive cage.
> |
> | Alternately, I could try getting an 80mm PWM fan, which will just
> barely
> | fit in there, and find some way to secure it so it won't vibrate
> too much.
> |
> | Dell appears to not have enough of the FY606 part to sell, and I'm
> | impatient.
> |
> | If I come up with something I'll post here.
> |
> | Meanwhile, some Dell T105 porn can be found  here:
> |
> | http://flickr.com/photos/ridireacht/sets/72157604596710084/
> |
> They also have a 70 mm version of that fan. Can4t you just simply
> create
> a shroud from a aluminum strip with some wire mesh and attaching the
> shroud to the bottom af the case with small screws ?

I don't have the aluminum and that would never be the same fit as the
Dell shroud.

If not having theirs, I was planning to just install it close the the
drive cage.  The metal mount there offsets the fan enough that it gets
proper airflow.

I don't want to drill the case bottom, I want to mount it to the
existing bracket.

I'll figure something out.

I went ahead and got an 80mm fluid bearing PWM fan ordered, though it
might not be what I end up using.

Whatever I do, I'll post the results here.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com