[geeks] Solaris installation, maximizing ZFS usage

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 18 15:21:06 CDT 2008

My last Solaris install, I used a 30G root so I could install all of
Solaris on /.

After I got it running, I put /opt and /home on a zpool on the rest of
the drive.

Basically the idea is to install with just enough space to hold
everything, use a second partition with the remaining space for a
spool, and then move as much as you can over to ZFS filesystems.

I was going to put /usr and /var there, but some people recommended
against doing that with Solaris because of dependencies between /usr, /
var, and the root filesystem.

I thought Solaris only needed /bin and /lib when booting, so I didn't
see how that would hurt anything, but I followed the advice anyway.

Anyone have any commentary on that?  Think it really matters that much?

I really don't see why it would be a big issue.

I guess I could just wait until we get ZFS root installs, or move to
booting the OS from USB.